Ready to learn more?
Next Cohort: Jan 23-Aug 6
The Certificate in Information Privacy is for any individual who seeks a potential career path toward information privacy as a discipline. Additionally, it serves individuals who simply want to better understand privacy as a public policy issue.
This program can also enhance the careers of people with an educational background or work experience in information management, information technology, human resources, marketing, and other related fields.
This program offers an accelerated format that allows you to graduate in only six months. Look forward to participating in experiential education opportunities, such as analyzing real-world privacy breaches. Industry-expert instructors will also instruct you on using practical, privacy-enabling tools and methods such as a Privacy Impact Assessment (PIA) and Privacy by Design (PbD). And, since privacy protection is a collaborative effort that involves multiple stakeholders, you will gain cross-functional professional skills such as communication, team building and critical thinking.
What You’ll Learn
- Learn essential tools and methods for safeguarding personal information.
- Interpret the privacy ramifications of new technologies, applications, products and services.
- Learn to identify potential risks, vulnerabilities, harms or misuses of data.
- Identify and coordinate privacy breaches/risk assessments.
- Explain the importance of information privacy.
- Consider the risks and benefits of information privacy from organizational and consumer perspectives.
- Comprehend major Canadian and global privacy laws, regulations and standards.
- Grasp the privacy implications of new technologies and services.
- Understand information security tools, methods, and principles used to safeguard information privacy.
- Conduct and write a Privacy Impact Assessment.
- Recognize privacy incidents and breaches and understand how to address them.
- Identify the essentials of stakeholder management (members, employees and other third parties).
- Support the development and the enhancement of an organization’s privacy program.
Student Reviews (11)
I enjoyed the experience at York University. The Director of my program (Advanced Certificate in Accounting) was very knowledgeable and guided me when I had questions regarding my school curriculum. Moreover, staff is always ready to help, teachers are...
I enjoyed the experience at York University. The Director of my program (Advanced Certificate in Accounting) was very knowledgeable and guided me when I had questions regarding my school curriculum. Moreover, staff is always ready to help, teachers are passionate about their jobs. For me, the most rewarding aspect was to meet exceptional classmates with whom I learned a lot. Thanks to #YUSCS!