Ready to learn more?
Next Cohort: Sep 7-Aug 30
Sep 7-Aug 30
Computer Programmer/Analyst is a three-year advanced diploma program in which students learn the latest skills needed by developers in industry. The program emphasizes problem-solving skills using the latest versions of Microsoft, Oracle, Java and open-source software to develop enterprise, internet and mobile applications. Object-oriented analysis, design, agile methodologies and programming techniques are mastered and applied throughout the program. Students learn through a combination of theory and practice, applying their knowledge to hands-on assignments and challenging projects. Complementary courses in areas such as mathematics, accounting and communications support the core IT courses. All of these skills are then applied to a capstone group project in the last semester in which students can build a major business application for a local business, providing them with a realistic, practical experience. The optional co-op stream includes four consecutive four-month work terms.
What You’ll Learn
- Identify, analyze, design, develop, implement, verify and document the requirements for a computing environment.
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, document and monitor technical problems using appropriate methodologies and tools.
- Analyze, design, implement and maintain secure computing environments.
- Analyze, develop and maintain robust computing system solutions through validation testing and industry best practices.
- Communicate and collaborate with team members and stakeholders to ensure effective working relationships.
- Select and apply strategies for personal and professional development to enhance work performance.
- Apply project management principles and tools when responding to requirements and monitoring projects within a computing environment.
- Adhere to ethical, social media, legal, regulatory and economic requirements and/or principles in the development and management of the computing solutions and systems.
- Investigate emerging trends to respond to technical challenges.
- Gather, analyze and define software system specifications based on functional and non-functional requirements.
- Design, develop, document, implement, maintain and test software systems by using industry standard software development methodologies based on defined specifications and existing technologies/frameworks.
- Select and apply object-oriented and other design concepts and principles, as well as business requirements, to the software development process.
- Gather requirements and model, design, implement, optimize, and maintain data storage solutions.
- Integrate network communications into software solutions by adhering to protocol standards.
Ready to get started?
Next Cohort: Sep 7-Aug 30
Student Reviews (2)
Conestoga cares about getting you a job. I studied computer programming and had chances to attend job fairs every month where I got to meet employers in KW (Kitchener-Waterloo) including big name startups. The instructors are all working professionals ...
Conestoga cares about getting you a job. I studied computer programming and had chances to attend job fairs every month where I got to meet employers in KW (Kitchener-Waterloo) including big name startups. The instructors are all working professionals and will help you understand not just the theory but what it's like to be a programmer. I liked my two years here and would recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to do a four-year compsci degree.