Ready to learn more?
Next Cohort: Sep 7-Apr 1
Sep 7-Apr 1
The program provides training in the skills required for on-site general carpentry and construction work, including the safe operation and maintenance of hand, portable, and stationary power tools. Students will study the layout and construction of a residential build from footings through roof framing.
This carpentry program takes students from building layout, through the completion of framing for a residential construction project. Students will gain the required knowledge with respect to blueprint reading, building code, construction methods, building materials, tools and jobsite safety in an interactive classroom environment. Students will then apply their skills in a variety of hands-on carpentry courses. In addition to new construction, students will apply their experiences to a variety of renovation projects.
What You’ll Learn
- Identify and use strategies to enhance work performance and continued learning to keep pace with industry changes.
- Identify and adhere to established health and safety practices that apply to specific job sites, in accordance with current legislation and regulations.
- Perform building construction and renovation tasks in compliance with contracts, the Ontario and/or National Building Codes, applicable laws and industry’s ethical practices.
- Work in accordance with established sustainability practices.
- Communicate and collaborate with diverse clients, supervisors and tradespersons to complete projects on time and to maintain effective working relationships.
- Assist with maintaining accurate project documents and use computer technologies to support building construction and renovation projects.
- Solve on-site trade-related building and renovation problems by applying principles of basic technical mathematics and building science.
- Select, maintain and safely operate hand tools, and portable and stationary power tools, to efficiently complete building construction and renovation tasks.
- Assist with the completion of building and renovation stages, from site layout and footings to the application of interior and exterior finishes, according to specifications.
- Assist in the preparation of material estimations according to building construction and renovation project documents.
Ready to get started?
Next Cohort: Sep 7-Apr 1
Student Reviews (2)
As a university graduate, the Advanced Filmmaking program at Fanshawe was an incredibly welcome change of pace. It’s allowed me to focus on the hands-on aspect of filmmaking that I did not have the chance to learn while in University. The shift from ...
As a university graduate, the Advanced Filmmaking program at Fanshawe was an incredibly welcome change of pace. It’s allowed me to focus on the hands-on aspect of filmmaking that I did not have the chance to learn while in University. The shift from reading theories and essay writing to producing content and connecting with my fellow filmmakers was exactly what I needed.
The environment of AFM is a lot more intimate than the university experience. You are always working in groups to create projects and receiving constant feedback from the professors. If you want to learn the ins and outs making a film, and meet the people who are going to help you do it, there is no better place to go than Fanshawe’s Advanced Filmmaking program.