Ready to learn more?
Next Cohort: Sep 3-Sep 3
Sep 3-Sep 3
Jan 6 - Jan 6 2027
Gain a solid understanding of the various technical elements of home renovation along with the business skills necessary to succeed in the industry.
The aim of the Carpentry and Renovation Technician program is to prepare entry-level carpenters, including construction labourers who can function in a wide array of construction projects using sustainable practices. The emphasis is on hands-on experience, including a service learning experience in the community assisting a not-for-profit organization.
This program has been designed to include four semesters with progressive opportunities to earn carpentry apprenticeship levels. After successfully completing semester two you will have earned the Carpentry Techniques Ontario College Certificate and have an opportunity to challenge level one for General Carpentry apprenticeship. By completing two more semesters, you can earn an Ontario College Diploma in Carpentry and Renovation Technician, and can challenge level two for General Carpentry apprenticeship.
What You’ll Learn
- Communicate construction project information effectively and accurately by interpreting and producing project records, logs and inventories using a variety of formats.
- Work safely and in accordance with all applicable acts, regulations, legislation, and codes to ensure personal and public safety.
- Solve problems mathematically using graphs, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and statistical methods.
- Apply knowledge of preservation techniques in a manner that compliments and enhances a buildings distinctive historical feature.
- Apply knowledge of the properties and uses of wood as a construction material on projects.
- Assess the relative merits of various construction materials and their appropriateness for use in new construction, restoration and the renovation field.
- Apply the principles of building science to achieve desired results of energy efficiency during and after the construction process of a building structure.
- Apply the basic principles of drafting in the interpretation and production of sketches, including survey and plot plans, architectural, mechanical, and electrical drawings.
- Review building plans and determine applicable code requirements.
- Prepare accurate estimates of time, cost, quality and quantity to complete applied project.
- Select and use properly the hand and machine tools required to perform the layout, cutting, fitting and assembly operations for related projects.
- Apply interior and exterior finishes for new construction as well as restoration to a building or renovation project.
- Work effectively on a job-site independently and or on teams with diverse groups of people and a variety of trades.
- Apply the basic concepts and principles of marketing, management and financial control to the operation of a small business.
- Apply sustainable practices to the construction industry.
- Apply project management skills to a variety of renovation/restoration and new construction projects.
- Compare and contrast construction methods of particular periods and styles of heritage buildings to meet project goals.
Ready to get started?
Next Cohort: Sep 3-Sep 3
Student Reviews (3)
At the “Frost” campus in Lindsay we specialize in Natural Resources, Enviromental and Wildlife programs. We have a number of unique features at this campus, including two onsite fish hatcheries and a fleet of boats used in the delivery of some of o...
At the “Frost” campus in Lindsay we specialize in Natural Resources, Enviromental and Wildlife programs. We have a number of unique features at this campus, including two onsite fish hatcheries and a fleet of boats used in the delivery of some of our programming. Our main varsity team at this campus is Loggersports which is basically competetive lumberjacking.
I am proud to say that my colleagues here are skilled, knowledgeable and absolutely dedicated to student success. We are welcoming and open to people of all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures and gender identities and preferences. Canada is an awesome country that is world renowned for quality of education and we here at Frost are proud to strive to uphold that reputation.
However, this is Canada and winter is the real deal here, and at this school we embrace it fully. Bring your toque and your boots.
The college and the faculty are really Unique!! They are always looking for ways to feel everyone included and heard! From day one I knew my experience in the college was going to be a memorable one! I made awesome friends and great work connections fo...
The college and the faculty are really Unique!! They are always looking for ways to feel everyone included and heard! From day one I knew my experience in the college was going to be a memorable one! I made awesome friends and great work connections for the future!!!!