Ready to learn more?
Next Cohort: Sep 3-Aug 28
Sep 3-Aug 28
Carpenters represent one of the largest trade groups in the construction industry, using their skills to construct, erect, install, maintain and repair structures and/or their components made of wood, wood substitutes, lightweight steel and other materials.
Since they focus on the construction of a building, it is vital for carpenters to understand all of the other aspects of a project, including electricity and plumbing. The Carpentry and Renovation Technician program offers a comprehensive program of study that includes courses such as Building Science, Kitchen and Bath Renovation, HVAC Building Science, Demolition and Deconstruction, to give graduates a well-rounded foundation in all aspects of their craft and the principles of construction, with a particular emphasis on sustainable design, theory and energy conservation renovation principles in keeping with today’s industry trends and best practices.
Graduates of this program will enter the work force with a competitive edge thanks to a strong knowledge and understanding of structural renovations, sustainable construction theory and energy-wise construction techniques, as well as foundational business theories and strategies to complement their technical training. Students also have the opportunity to complete a co-operative education (co-op) or field placement, which provides invaluable real-life, hands-on work and industry experience that prepare graduates for successful careers.
What You’ll Learn
- Develop and use strategies for ongoing professional development to remain current with industry changes, enhance work performance and explore career opportunities.
- Comply with health and safety practices and procedures in accordance with current legislation and regulations.
- Assist in the preparation of material estimations and quotes and complete all work in compliance with the rights and conditions of contractual obligations, the Ontario and/or National Building Codes, applicable laws, bylaws, standards and ethical practices in the construction, renovation and conservation building fields.
- Incorporate sustainability practices in the implementation of building construction, renovation and conservation projects in accordance with sustainable building guidelines.
- Communicate and collaborate with diverse clients, supervisors, co-workers and tradespersons to complete projects on time and to maintain effective working relationships.
- Interpret project plans and produce technical sketches and documents to support building construction and renovation projects.
- Select and use technologies to obtain, organize and communicate building construction and renovation information.
- Solve problems related to the implementation of building construction and renovation projects by applying the principles of basic technical mathematics, building design and building science.
- Select, maintain and safely use hand tools, and portable and stationary power tools, when performing layout, cutting, fitting and assembly operations.
- Complete building and renovation stages, from site layout and footings to the application of interior and exterior finishes, in accordance with blueprint specifications and conservation principles.
- Select a range of materials and equipment for their appropriate application to building construction and renovation projects.
- Schedule and assist in monitoring the progression of building construction and renovation projects by applying basic principles and strategies of project management.
- Apply basic business principles and strategies to the operation of a building construction and/or renovation enterprise.
Ready to get started?
Next Cohort: Sep 3-Aug 28
Student Reviews (4)
I enjoyed my time at Durham College. It is a great school for the Dental Assisting program. The faculty are easy to approach and really do strive to help you succeed. I am witness to the staff that took the extra time out of their schedules out of c...
I enjoyed my time at Durham College. It is a great school for the Dental Assisting program. The faculty are easy to approach and really do strive to help you succeed. I am witness to the staff that took the extra time out of their schedules out of class time to help those that needed extra assistance. So for those who say Durham does not help you to succeed... Id say it must be program specific. I was offered employment on my second week of placement. The teachers are there to get you to SUCCEED your program. After that the rest is up to you. It's all how you market yourself.
I had been studying in Durham College since January 2021 in Cyber Security program and I can say it offers best courses and teaching methods. During the pandemic situation where everything is online it has offered best remote learning experience. I wou...
I had been studying in Durham College since January 2021 in Cyber Security program and I can say it offers best courses and teaching methods. During the pandemic situation where everything is online it has offered best remote learning experience. I would really recommend to attend this college if you are looking for best education.