Ready to learn more?
Next Cohort: Sep 3-Sep 3
Sep 3-Sep 3
Jan 6 - Jan 6 2027
George Brown’s two-year Carpentry and Renovation Technician program is designed to prepare you for employment in the renovation and light construction field. You will learn practical hands-on skills in carpentry, construction site safety, and renovations, along with the business skills to succeed in the renovation industry.
You will learn new construction and building renovation skills, carpentry techniques, and new materials applications while gaining a solid understanding of the renovation-related trades. Hands-on training takes place in fully equipped labs where students practice framing and finishing techniques using sustainable design principles.
What You’ll Learn
- Develop and use strategies for ongoing professional development to remain current with industry changes, enhance work performance, and explore career opportunities.
- Comply with health and safety practices and procedures by current legislation and regulations.
- Assist in the preparation of material estimations and quotes and complete all work in compliance with the rights and conditions of contractual obligations, the Ontario and/or National Building Codes, applicable laws, bylaws, standards, and ethical practices in the construction, renovation, and conservation building fields.
- Incorporate sustainability practices in the implementation of building construction, renovation, and conservation projects by sustainable building guidelines.
- Communicate and collaborate with diverse clients, supervisors, coworkers, and tradespersons to complete projects on time and to maintain effective working relationships.
- Interpret project plans and produce technical sketches and documents to support building construction and renovation projects.
- Solve problems related to the implementation of building construction and renovation projects by applying the principles of basic technical mathematics, building design, and building science.
- Select, maintain and safely use hand tools, and portable and stationary power tools, when performing layout, cutting, fitting, and assembly operations.
- Complete building and renovation stages, from site layout and footings to the application of interior and exterior finishes, by blueprint specifications and conservation principles.
Ready to get started?
Next Cohort: Sep 3-Sep 3
Student Reviews (11)
I did an ONLINE cooking class during the pandemic with prof Jason Inniss. I left not only a much better cook but also inspired by food and the role it plays in our culture. Inniss lives on an organic farm with his family and was enthusiastic and so, so...
I did an ONLINE cooking class during the pandemic with prof Jason Inniss. I left not only a much better cook but also inspired by food and the role it plays in our culture. Inniss lives on an organic farm with his family and was enthusiastic and so, so knowledgable. I can't recommend this class enough.
The nursing program is more challenging than other schools, and there is no point in studying here as you will not get paid more for more challenging studies. This program is more difficult because I compared my school work with a friend who went elsew...
The nursing program is more challenging than other schools, and there is no point in studying here as you will not get paid more for more challenging studies. This program is more difficult because I compared my school work with a friend who went elsewhere. George Brown's nursing faculty are also not good; quite a few instructors and coordinators do not care about students- there are many many traumatized students from their experience with GBC nursing faculty.