Ready to learn more?
Next Cohort: Sep 7-Aug 25
Sep 7-Aug 25
Jan 4 - Dec 22 2023
George Brown’s two-year Carpentry and Renovation Technician program is designed to prepare you for employment in the renovation and light construction field. You will learn practical hands-on skills in carpentry, construction site safety and renovations, along with the business skills to succeed in the renovation industry.
You will learn new construction and building renovation skills, carpentry techniques and new materials applications while gaining a solid understanding of the renovation-related trades. Hands-on training takes place in fully equipped labs where students practise framing and finishing techniques using sustainable design principles.
What You’ll Learn
- Develop and use strategies for ongoing professional development to remain current with industry changes, enhance work performance and explore career opportunities.
- Comply with health and safety practices and procedures in accordance with current legislation and regulations.
- Assist in the preparation of material estimations and quotes and complete all work in compliance with the rights and conditions of contractual obligations, the Ontario and/or National Building Codes, applicable laws, bylaws, standards and ethical practices in the construction, renovation and conservation building fields.
- Incorporate sustainability practices in the implementation of building construction, renovation and conservation projects in accordance with sustainable building guidelines.
- Communicate and collaborate with diverse clients, supervisors, coworkers and tradespersons to complete projects on time and to maintain effective working relationships.
- Interpret project plans and produce technical sketches and documents to support building construction and renovation projects.
- Select and use technologies to obtain, organize and communicate building construction and renovation information.
- Solve problems related to the implementation of building construction and renovation projects by applying the principles of basic technical mathematics, building design and building science.
- Select, maintain and safely use hand tools, and portable and stationary power tools, when performing layout, cutting, fitting and assembly operations.
- Complete building and renovation stages, from site layout and footings to the application of interior and exterior finishes, in accordance with blueprint specifications and conservation principles.
- Select a range of materials and equipment for their appropriate application to building construction and renovation projects.
- Schedule and assist in monitoring the progression of building construction and renovation projects by applying basic principles and strategies of project management.
- Apply basic business principles and strategies to the operation of building construction and/or renovation enterprise.
Ready to get started?
Next Cohort: Sep 7-Aug 25
Student Reviews (5)
Great program. I applied 4 years after graduating from a graphic design program. Application process was straightforward and asked for short video answering what my favourite movie was and why but I think they recently added a video submission, so get ...
Great program. I applied 4 years after graduating from a graphic design program. Application process was straightforward and asked for short video answering what my favourite movie was and why but I think they recently added a video submission, so get your reel together. Since graduating I've worked on sets in Toronto and done freelance ad content for a few different agencies.
I took the IA course as a continuing education course; it could have been so much better. We had to submit group work, group work is rarely very rewarding or "fun." The course was not very well structured. We submitted homework every week for the durat...
I took the IA course as a continuing education course; it could have been so much better. We had to submit group work, group work is rarely very rewarding or "fun." The course was not very well structured. We submitted homework every week for the duration of 6 weeks, no one received a grade or a review on the homework submitted...ever. The final homework assignment was submitted and once again, zero feedback regarding grading or comments on how anyone taking this course could improve? The instructor, Darren was MIA when you emailed him for information, no response to emails. No feedback on our final assignment. Everyone in the group received the same mark regardless of the individual's participation. I would not recommend this course.