Ready to learn more?
Next Cohort: Sep 7-Aug 26
Sep 7-Aug 26
Humber’s Carpentry and Renovation Technician diploma program covers both the technical and business aspects of the home renovation industry. You will study all facets of house construction and basic building systems including building codes. Your courses will provide you with the business skills that you need to succeed in the industry including management, estimating, finances and communications. Humber’s labs provide the opportunity to gain practical, hands-on experience. This program is offered in an accelerated format, enabling you to enter the workforce sooner by completing the equivalent of four semesters of study in three semesters (one calendar year).
What You’ll Learn
- Develop and use strategies for ongoing professional development to remain current with industry changes, enhance work performance and explore career opportunities.
- Comply with health and safety practices and procedures in accordance with current legislation and regulations.
- Assist in the preparation of material estimations and quotes and complete all work in compliance with the rights and conditions of contractual obligations, the Ontario and/or National Building Codes, applicable laws, bylaws, standards and ethical practices in the construction, renovation and conservation building fields.
- Incorporate sustainability practices in the implementation of building construction, renovation and conservation projects in accordance with sustainable building guidelines.
- Communicate and collaborate with diverse clients, supervisors, coworkers and tradespersons to complete projects on time and to maintain effective working relationships.
- Interpret project plans and produce technical sketches and documents to support building construction and renovation projects.
- Select and use technologies to obtain, organize and communicate building construction and renovation information.
- Solve problems related to the implementation of building construction and renovation projects by applying the principles of basic technical mathematics, building design and building science.
- Select, maintain and safely use hand tools, and portable and stationary power tools, when performing layout, cutting, fitting and assembly operations.
- Complete building and renovation stages, from site layout and footings to the application of interior and exterior finishes, in accordance with blueprint specifications and conservation principles.
- Select a range of materials and equipment for their appropriate application to building construction and renovation projects.
- Schedule and assist in monitoring the progression of building construction and renovation projects by applying basic principles and strategies of project management.
- Apply basic business principles and strategies to the operation of a building construction and/or renovation enterprise.
Ready to get started?
Next Cohort: Sep 7-Aug 26