Ready to learn more?
Next Cohort: Jan 8-Oct 25
Jan 8-Oct 25
The two-year Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Technician Ontario College Diploma program delivered in a compressed format over 42 weeks, is approved by the Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) and is taught in Algonquin’s state-of-the-art Algonquin Centre for Construction Excellence (ACCE) building. By studying in the ACCE building, you have the opportunity to work in a fully-outfitted facility where you learn both traditional and advanced technologies used in the industry.
Start the program by learning electrical and heating essentials – all courses have a strong hands-on component. To better prepare you for a career in the industry, vocational subjects are enriched with courses in: communications, mathematics, related sciences, and computer applications. Continue to enhance your knowledge and skills throughout the remainder of the program, and learn about controls, forced air gas/oil heating systems, hydronics and refrigeration concepts.
Algonquin College’s program also includes an approved curriculum for:
- Gas Technician 3 (G3) and Gas Technician 2 (G2)
- Oil Burner Technician 3 (OBT3) and Oil Burner Technician 2 (OBT2)
This means that you have an opportunity to prepare for and write your TSSA exams, in order to become licensed as a Gas Technician and Oil Burner Technician during the program. At the end of your second term, you may be eligible to apply to write your TSSA G3 and OBT3 certificates of qualification. At the end of your final term, you may be eligible to apply for your TSSA G2 and OBT2 certificates of qualification, making you more employable in the field.
What You’ll Learn
- Relate effectively to heating, refrigeration, and air conditioning supervisors, coworkers, and customers.
- Work safely and in accordance with all applicable acts, regulations, legislation, and codes to ensure personal and public safety.
- Select and use a variety of heating, refrigeration, and air conditioning tools and equipment safely and properly.
- Solve math and applied science problems required to effectively install and maintain heating, refrigeration, and air conditioning systems, and associated components.
- Prepare and interpret electrical, mechanical, and piping drawings.
- Install, service, and troubleshoot heating, refrigeration, air conditioning systems, and associated components.
- Develop strategies for ongoing personal and professional development that will lead to enhanced work performance and career opportunities, and keep pace with industry changes.
- Identify and apply discipline specific practices that contribute to the local and global community through social responsibility, economic commitment and environmental stewardship.
Ready to get started?
Next Cohort: Jan 8-Oct 25
Student Reviews (12)
I had a great experience at Algonquin College. The program was awesome - I completed a good portion of it online (via their online campus) and some courses at the Ottawa campus. I recommend this program and this College to anyone. In fact, I continued ...
I had a great experience at Algonquin College. The program was awesome - I completed a good portion of it online (via their online campus) and some courses at the Ottawa campus. I recommend this program and this College to anyone. In fact, I continued taking courses through their corporate training to augment my skills.
I studied at the Pembroke campus where I found my calling! The community of professors and students is close and the curriculum balances the practical and theoretical side of things very well with in-class lectures and many workshops. I also loved that...
I studied at the Pembroke campus where I found my calling! The community of professors and students is close and the curriculum balances the practical and theoretical side of things very well with in-class lectures and many workshops. I also loved that I got three field placements, which is more than other programs. Everyone is working to support your success here and send you off into a secure and in demand job where you get to care for and help develop children. Dream come true.