Ready to learn more?
Next Cohort: Sep 5-Aug 28
Sep 5-Aug 28
This program offers a well-balanced education in every aspect of the game development process, with a focus towards training artists for the game industry. There is an enormous difference between playing games and creating them, and this program is designed to teach you how to convert your love of gameplay and artistry into a lucrative career. The experience and knowledge gained in the Game-Art program at Durham College have given graduates the edge in landing careers in industry-leading game studios.
This program was developed with input from veterans in the digital entertainment industry and continues to garner enthusiastic support from studios and professional artists across the country. Industry trained professors are ready to share their knowledge and experience with you. The focus of this hands-on program is to develop and hone your skills as a digital artist through project-based learning and instruction.
You will explore environment and level design, employing modelling, surfacing, lighting techniques and special effects in industry leading real-time engines. All of your work will be supported by a strong foundation in animation for games, technical art, and concept art.
Industry context is also strongly emphasized though the use of production pipelines and studio simulation. As a graduate, you will enter the industry with strong technical and creative ability, a realistic understanding of the world of game production and a keen sense of professionalism.
What You’ll Learn
- Analyze the differences in game genres in order to develop games that meet the needs of specific markets.
- Analyze the history of video games to compare various approaches to game development.
- Support the development of games by identifying and relating concepts from a range of industry roles—programming, design, and art.
- Contribute as an individual and a member of a game development team to the effective completion of a game development project.
- Develop strategies for ongoing personal and professional development to enhance work performance in the games industry.
- Perform all work in compliance with relevant statutes, regulations, legislation, industry standards and codes of ethics.
- Develop pre-production and conceptual art for games and gaming through the selection and application of relevant design tools and drawing techniques.
- Create original game assets to meet requirements outlined in game design documents and/or creative briefs.
- Engage in original world building and level design within a range of game engines to meet industry and marketplace requirements.
- Generate user interface design in alignment with Game Design Documents to optimize both the aesthetics and function of gameplay.
Ready to get started?
Next Cohort: Sep 5-Aug 28
Student Reviews (1)
This is a good local college with pretty strong networks around Oshawa and Ontario. They even have a decent reputation for applied technical research with loads of support from the City of Oshawa and partnerships with Ontario Tech and others schools (s...
This is a good local college with pretty strong networks around Oshawa and Ontario. They even have a decent reputation for applied technical research with loads of support from the City of Oshawa and partnerships with Ontario Tech and others schools (same campus).
Campus life will be more exciting at universities and other colleges, but I was working with a young family when I started my program and that didn't matter to me. Definitely an international student body and with new buildings going up it seems there's a lot of growth happening.
The most important thing for me was that they had great profs who cared about my success and made introductions for me to industry. Overall, very happy with my decision.