Ready to learn more?
Next Cohort: Jan 4-Dec 23
Jan 4-Dec 23
You’ll get in-depth hands-on education in current welding techniques — working with the most current technology — and study the theory at the same time. Learn shielded metal arc welding (SMAW), gas metal arc welding (GMAW), gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW) and flux-cored arc welding (FCAW).
You’ll learn in welding workshops that mimic the professional workplace, from some of the most highly certified faculty in the Greater Toronto Area. Your instructors combine years of teaching experience with decades of work in the welding industry. With Sheridan’s small class sizes, you’ll be sure to get one-on-one instruction and mentoring.
When you graduate, you’ll be qualified for an apprenticeship as a welder, boilermaker, pipefitter, steamfitter, millwright or sheet-metal mechanic. Sheridan has a strong reputation in the industry for producing well-rounded graduates who can be effective on the job from day one. You may also choose to learn more by continuing directly into the final year of the Welding and Fabrication Technician diploma.
What You’ll Learn
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of Health and Safety Legislation, Lockout procedures, Hazard control, body issues and WHMIS related information.
- Interpret and produce basic graphics and other standard technical documents to industry standards.
- Identify and select methods appropriate for fabrication from engineering drawings.
- Perform basic technical measurements using appropriate tools.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the fundamentals of the Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW) process and the characteristics of the modes of metal transfers.
- Complete all work in compliance with practices and procedures typical of industry to ensure safety of self and others.
- Set up equipment for Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW) applications and perform these in the flat, horizontal, vertical and overhead positions.
- Define procedures for correction of defective weld quality and describe the need for other functions to assure weld quality.
- Work responsibly and effectively within a shop environment in accordance with appropriate practices and procedures.
- Use shop tools and equipment for the manufacture, and repair of components to required specifications.
Ready to get started?
Next Cohort: Jan 4-Dec 23
Student Reviews (1)
There's a weird narrative out there about Sheridan only caring about international students. I'm a domestic student and I finished my advanced diploma in marketing last year, which included the search marketing course. My profs were industry profession...
There's a weird narrative out there about Sheridan only caring about international students. I'm a domestic student and I finished my advanced diploma in marketing last year, which included the search marketing course. My profs were industry professionals who were extremely helpful and approachable. Most of them knew me by my first name.
I'm working at an agency in downtown Toronto right now and loving every second of it. I highly recommend the school and the program.