Ready to learn more?
Next Cohort: Aug 2-Apr 28
Aug 2-Apr 28
With the current pace of construction in Ontario, there is a high demand for skilled equipment operators to support this industry. Completion of the Heavy Construction Equipment Operation program will position you for success to enter the construction industry.
This program includes a significant amount of hands-on experience, safely performing basic maintenance and operating various pieces of large equipment at Conestoga’s training sites (South Guelph or Brantford Airport depending on program location). You will also be exposed to compact equipment and paving operations. This practical experience is complemented with the related theory including environmental practices, soils, concrete and asphalt, surveying and site plans. By the end of the program, you will be well-prepared for success as you enter employment in the heavy construction and paving industries as an equipment operator.
As a graduate of this program, you will have the opportunity to receive automatic exemption from all of the apprenticeship in-school training for the three Heavy Equipment Operator trades (Tractor-Loader-Backhoe, Excavator, Dozer) should you choose to pursue that career pathway.
What You’ll Learn
- Operate a variety of compact and heavy equipment used in construction and paving environments efficiently and in accordance with industry operator specifications and safe practices.
- Operate various pieces of earth moving equipment on a work site in a competent manner in accordance with operator specifications and safe practices.
- Complete preventative maintenance and field repairs on heavy and compact equipment to ensure efficient operation in accordance with recommended maintenance schedules and procedures.
- Apply basic survey techniques to interpret grade elevation in compliance with requirements set out in blueprints and/or site plans.
- Apply basic business practices appropriate to the heavy construction and paving industries to ensure optimal operational efficiency.
- Complete all work in an environmentally responsible manner ensuring compliance with relevant legislation and ethical considerations.
- Prepare logs, records, and documentation to appropriate standards to accurately record operating hours, equipment checks, and maintenance.
- Complete all assigned work in compliance with occupational health and safety established policies and procedures; codes and regulations; and in accordance with ethical principles.
Ready to get started?
Next Cohort: Aug 2-Apr 28
Student Reviews (8)
Lots of work-integrated (WIL) learning and amazing community feel to this program at Conestoga. Invaluable experience in a kindergarten classroom topped off excellent classroom training by first-rate professors in this bachelor's degree program. Highly...
Lots of work-integrated (WIL) learning and amazing community feel to this program at Conestoga. Invaluable experience in a kindergarten classroom topped off excellent classroom training by first-rate professors in this bachelor's degree program. Highly recommended.
I'm in my second year of the Software Engineering Technology program and have only great things to say about my experience. Good faculty and curriculum, nice campus, and a lot of focus on career support and practical training. Glad I chose it over comp...
I'm in my second year of the Software Engineering Technology program and have only great things to say about my experience. Good faculty and curriculum, nice campus, and a lot of focus on career support and practical training. Glad I chose it over computer science in the end.