Ready to learn more?
Next Cohort: Sep 5-Aug 28
Sep 5-Aug 28
Experience the full animation process of character performance stories with a focus on creating finished animation productions.
What You’ll Learn
- Industry standard hardware and software.
- Transferable skills to entertainment, gaming, virtual reality (VR), commercial and industrial productions.
- Develop real-world industry production work practices.
- Writing skills to develop character and story structure.
- Figure drawing to develop strong drawing skills.
- Traditional drawing skills used for visual design of environments, characters, storyboards/animatics.
- Laptop computer skills for digital construction, rigging and animating characters.
- Construction of props and environments with texture and lighting to complete the scene.
- Camera, rendering and editing techniques to create a finished production.
- Design, create and animate objects and characters with naturalistic and expressive movements and poses.
- Design and create hand-drawn and/or computer-generated drawings using principles of art, design and composition.
- Select and use appropriate tools and technologies for the development of animation projects.
- Contribute to the planning, implementation and evaluation of animation projects.
- Plan, develop and execute a series of effective and believable animation sequences.
- Create and enhance the production of animation sequences and projects using a variety of principles and techniques related to cinematography and art direction.
- Use storytelling skills to create and enhance the development and execution of animation sequences.
- Use performance theory and skills to create and enhance animation.
- Design and produce layouts using perspective, composition and colour theory to enhance visual presentation and mood.
- Present and defend a visual concept to a target audience.
- Use computer skills and appropriate digital asset management techniques to function effectively within a production pipeline.
- Develop, assemble and present a demo reel or portfolio in a manner that meets current industry expectations, and highlights one’s creativity, skills and proficiency with relevant animation software and related technologies.
- Model and rig objects, characters and background elements.
- Light and texture objects, characters and sets using a range of appropriate tools and techniques.
Ready to get started?
Next Cohort: Sep 5-Aug 28
Student Reviews (3)
I graduated 5 years ago, so this is maybe old and not relevant. The professors were knowledgable and very easy to talk to. They will be available to you when you need them. The coop helped me get a great job n IT, so I shouldn't complain, but it was ha...
I graduated 5 years ago, so this is maybe old and not relevant. The professors were knowledgable and very easy to talk to. They will be available to you when you need them. The coop helped me get a great job n IT, so I shouldn't complain, but it was hard work figuring out where to go and managing administration. So the learning here is really good but I hope they smoothed out this process for getting students into coops.
I got to work with McMaster University through the BTech (bachelor of technology) partnership program. Through this I was able to complete my diploma at Mohawk and get a degree at McMaster in IT in about 2.5 years. I took the software engineering techn...
I got to work with McMaster University through the BTech (bachelor of technology) partnership program. Through this I was able to complete my diploma at Mohawk and get a degree at McMaster in IT in about 2.5 years. I took the software engineering technology stream and learned more about how to "do" and build technology than some of my friends in university CompSci programs. A lot of my courses were online and I appreciated the free time this gave me to study when I wanted to. As an added bonus, I got a training in business and product development in building software and infrastructure. This is key because it helped me get a job and get promoted faster because I had the technical and PM experience.