Ready to learn more?
Next Cohort: May 6-May 6
May 6-May 6
Sep 3 - Sep 3 2026
The two-year Construction Engineering Technician Ontario College Diploma program introduces you to a wide range of knowledge and skills to work in the construction industry. This program combines both hands-on application and theory to help you secure a career in the residential and commercial construction industries.
The Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (OACETT) recognizes this program as meeting all of the academic requirements for certification in the Certified Technician Category. Using state-of-the-art facilities in Algonquin’s ACCE building, you build a solid foundation for your future career.
Take courses in surveying, construction materials, estimating and construction, building code and structural design documentation. Learn about health and safety relating to the field, hydraulics, geographic information systems and AutoCAD. Experience hands-on learning and participate in field trips. Students also have the option to gain real-world experience through a paid co-operative education (co-op) work term.
This program has strong ties to the construction industry and may help you build contacts throughout your time at Algonquin College.
What You’ll Learn
- Develop and use strategies to enhance professional growth and ongoing learning in the construction engineering field.
- Comply with workplace health and safety practices and procedures in accordance with current legislation and regulations.
- Complete duties in compliance with contractual obligations, applicable laws, standards, bylaws, codes and ethical practices in the construction engineering field.
- Carry out sustainability practices in accordance with contract documents, industry standards and environmental legislative requirements.
- Collaborate with and facilitate communication among project stakeholders to support construction projects.
- Collect, process and interpret technical data to produce written and graphical project-related documents.
- Contribute to the collecting, interpreting and applying of survey/geomatics and layout information to implement construction projects.
- Identify and use industry-specific electronic and digital technologies to support the design and construction of projects.
- Contribute to the resolution of technical problems related to the design and implementation of construction projects by applying engineering concepts, basic technical mathematics and building science.
- Assist in the scheduling and monitoring of the progression of construction projects by applying principles of construction project management.
- Assist in the preparation of accurate estimates of time, cost, quality and quantity, tenders and bids.
- Perform quality control testing and monitoring of equipment, materials and methods involved in the implementation and completion of construction projects.
- Apply teamwork, leadership and interpersonal skills when working individually or within multidisciplinary teams to complete work on construction projects.
- Identify and apply discipline-specific practices that contribute to the local and global community through social responsibility, economic commitment and environmental stewardship.
Ready to get started?
Next Cohort: May 6-May 6
Student Reviews (12)
I had a great experience at Algonquin College. The program was awesome - I completed a good portion of it online (via their online campus) and some courses at the Ottawa campus. I recommend this program and this College to anyone. In fact, I continued ...
I had a great experience at Algonquin College. The program was awesome - I completed a good portion of it online (via their online campus) and some courses at the Ottawa campus. I recommend this program and this College to anyone. In fact, I continued taking courses through their corporate training to augment my skills.
I studied at the Pembroke campus where I found my calling! The community of professors and students is close and the curriculum balances the practical and theoretical side of things very well with in-class lectures and many workshops. I also loved that...
I studied at the Pembroke campus where I found my calling! The community of professors and students is close and the curriculum balances the practical and theoretical side of things very well with in-class lectures and many workshops. I also loved that I got three field placements, which is more than other programs. Everyone is working to support your success here and send you off into a secure and in demand job where you get to care for and help develop children. Dream come true.