Ready to learn more?
Next Cohort: Jan 8-Dec 19
Jan 8-Dec 19
The Practical Nursing program is designed to prepare graduates who are able to meet the challenges of the expanding role of nursing in today’s society. As a practical nurse, you will combine your knowledge, skills and judgement to provide safe, competent, ethical nursing care to meet the unique needs of all patients throughout the continuum of care.
Approved by the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO), the Practical Nursing program teaches the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to practise as a safe, competent and professional practical nurse. Using the concept of caring as the basis of nursing, you will develop knowledge, skills and judgment in assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating nursing care for all age groups as they experience various health challenges. A particular focus is placed on the ability to communicate in a caring and therapeutic manner.
What You’ll Learn
- Communicate therapeutically with clients and members of the health care team.
- Assess clients across the life span, in a systematic and holistic manner.
- Plan safe and competent nursing care, based upon a thorough analysis of available data and evidence-informed practice guidelines.
- Select and perform nursing interventions using clinical judgment, in collaboration with the client and, where appropriate, the health care team, that promote health and well-being, prevent disease and injury, maintain and/or restore health, promote rehabilitation, and/or provide palliation.
- Evaluate the outcomes resulting from all interventions in the nurse-client interaction and modify the plan of care as required.
- Act equitably and justly with clients and members of the health care team.
- Adapt to a variety of health care settings, using different leadership skills and styles as appropriate to each setting.
- Contribute to creating a healthy and safe work environment in a variety of health care settings.
- Practice in a self-regulated, professional and ethical manner, complying with relevant legislation and with the standards of both the regulatory body and the practice setting to provide safe and competent client care.
Ready to get started?
Next Cohort: Jan 8-Dec 19
Student Reviews (1)
This is a good local college with pretty strong networks around Oshawa and Ontario. They even have a decent reputation for applied technical research with loads of support from the City of Oshawa and partnerships with Ontario Tech and others schools (s...
This is a good local college with pretty strong networks around Oshawa and Ontario. They even have a decent reputation for applied technical research with loads of support from the City of Oshawa and partnerships with Ontario Tech and others schools (same campus).
Campus life will be more exciting at universities and other colleges, but I was working with a young family when I started my program and that didn't matter to me. Definitely an international student body and with new buildings going up it seems there's a lot of growth happening.
The most important thing for me was that they had great profs who cared about my success and made introductions for me to industry. Overall, very happy with my decision.